Home Blog Page 155

Three Farmers Arraigned For Allegedly Killing 33 Cows In Oyo

 

Three farmers, Rashidi Kareem (60), Dele Julius (41) and Musa Rasaki (65) were on Thursday arraigned before an Iyaganku Magistrates’ Court in Ibadan, Oyo State, for allegedly killing 33 cows belonging to herders in Kunbi village, Akinyele Local Government Area.

According to the police prosecutor, Akeem Akinloye, the defendants were accused of willfully and unlawfully killing the cows, valued at ₦20 million, on November 27.

The livestock were said to be the property of Alhaji Aliyu Abubakar and Alhaji Muhammed Abubakar.

The alleged offence contravenes Sections 450 and 517 of the Oyo State Criminal Code Law, 2000.

The three farmers pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Presiding Magistrate Olabisi Ogunkanmi granted each defendant bail in the sum of ₦1 million, with two sureties in like sum, and adjourned the case until January 19, 2026, for further hearing.

Google search engine

Supreme Court Nullifies Tinubu’s Clemency, Reinstates Maryam Sanda’s Death Sentence In Split Judgment

 

The Supreme Court has overturned President Bola Tinubu’s decision to commute the death sentence of Maryam Sanda, ruling that the Executive acted outside its constitutional powers by granting clemency while her appeal was still active in court.

In a 4–1 split judgment delivered on Friday, the apex court reinstated the death penalty earlier imposed on Sanda by the Federal Capital Territory High Court and upheld by the Court of Appeal.

Sanda was convicted in 2020 for the murder of her husband, Bilyaminu Bello, during a domestic dispute in their Abuja residence.

The Supreme Court dismissed Sanda’s appeal, affirming that the prosecution successfully established a case of culpable homicide beyond reasonable doubt.

Reading the lead judgment, Justice Moore Adumein held that the presidential pardon was procedurally improper because the matter had not reached final judicial determination.

“It was wrong for the Executive to exercise its power of pardon over a case of culpable homicide in which an appeal was pending,” Justice Adumein stated.

The ruling nullifies President Tinubu’s October decision to commute Sanda’s death sentence to 12 years in prison, a move the Presidency said was motivated by compassion and her “good conduct” in custody.

The commutation had formed part of a revised clemency list that initially contained 175 names before several were removed due to the severity of their offences.

The presidential decision generated intense public debate and was strongly opposed by Bello’s family. Following consultations with the Council of State and reactions from the public, the Presidency later clarified that some names had been withdrawn from the list due to concerns over crimes such as kidnapping and arms-related offences.

Friday’s judgment means Sanda’s original death sentence remains in force, nullifying the earlier commutation.

She had already spent roughly six years in custody, and the reduced sentence would have left her with about six years to complete.

Google search engine

Osun 2026: Dancing Doesn’t Affect My Performance, I’ll Win Again – Governor Adeleke

 

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has maintained that he will continue dancing, insisting that the pastime has no impact on his ability to govern effectively.

Adeleke, widely known as “the dancing governor,” has frequently faced criticism from political opponents who argue that his public displays of dance reflect a lack of seriousness.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today, the governor dismissed the criticism, describing dancing as a personal form of worship and relaxation.

“I will keep dancing because I love to dance and praise my God. It doesn’t change anything,” he said.

“Everyone has their way of relaxing. My hobby is to dance, and it does not affect my work.”

Adeleke recently resigned from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and joined the Accord Party, where he has since emerged as the party’s governorship candidate for the August 8, 2026 election.

Explaining his defection, the governor said the move was necessary to protect his administration’s people-focused policies and strengthen his re-election prospects.

“To ensure continuity and the long-term sustainability of our people-centered governance agenda beyond 2026, we have taken the bold step of moving to the Accord Party,” Adeleke said.

Google search engine

Bandits Kill Zamfara LG Vice Chairman After Collecting N15m Ransom, Abduct Nursing Mothers

 

Bandits have killed the Vice Chairman of Bukuyum Local Government Area in Zamfara State, Mu’azu Muhammad Gwashi, despite receiving a ransom of N15 million for his release.

Gwashi had been held captive for more than six months, with his abductors initially demanding N30 million.

A resident, Malam Muhammad Mansur Sani, said members of the community struggled to gather the ransom before eventually raising N15 million.

“They asked for N30 million, but we couldn’t raise that amount. After collecting N15 million, they brought him back to the community. People saw him alive, but they later returned and took him back into the forest, where they killed him,” he said.

The Zamfara State Commissioner for Information, Hon. Mahmud Muhammad Dantawasa, expressed condolences to the family and residents of Bukuyum, calling the incident heartbreaking.

In a separate attack two days earlier, armed bandits invaded Saran Wawa village in the Ruwan Rana district and abducted five nursing mothers along with four others.

A relative of one of the victims, Malam Shehu, said the attack took place around midnight on December 8.

The nursing mothers, each carrying her infant, were taken to an unknown location, and the abductors have yet to contact the families.

Google search engine

Man To Die By Hanging For Killing Employer After Collecting Ransom, Court Rules

 

A Kano State High Court has sentenced Abdulaziz Adamu to death by hanging for the murder of his employer, Alhaji Ali Alhassan, whom he abducted and killed after collecting a N15 million ransom.

Adamu, a resident of Dawakin Kudu Local Government Area, was found guilty on a three-count charge bordering on conspiracy, kidnapping, and culpable homicide.

His co-accused, Abdullahi Alhassan of Danladi Nasidi Quarters, was discharged and acquitted for lack of evidence.

According to the prosecution counsel, Lamido Abba-Sorondinki, the incident occurred on June 16, 2024, when the defendants abducted the victim in Dawakin Kudu.

“The defendants demanded and received N15 million ransom from the family. They then struck the victim on the head and chest with heavy sticks and buried his body at Adamu’s residence,” he told the court.

The prosecution presented two witnesses alongside Adamu’s confessional statement.

Both defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Abba-Sorondinki said their actions violated Sections 97, 273, and 221(a) of the Penal Code Laws of Kano State.

The defence counsel, Hussaini Ahmad-Makari, presented the accused persons for their defence.

In her judgment, Justice Aisha Mahmoud ruled that the prosecution had established its case beyond reasonable doubt against Adamu.

“I hereby sentence Abdulaziz Adamu to death by hanging for inflicting fatal injuries on the victim. May God have mercy on his soul,” she declared.

Google search engine

Rivers Assembly Counters Fubara, Says Governor Misrepresented Peace Efforts

 

The Rivers State House of Assembly has refuted Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s claim that certain elders were obstructing planned reconciliation meetings between him and the lawmakers.

Speaking in Port Harcourt yesterday, Speaker Martins Amaewhule described the governor’s remarks as misleading and unfair, insisting that several peace meetings, facilitated by Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike, had indeed taken place.

According to Amaewhule, Wike convened a meeting in Abuja between the governor and the 27 lawmakers loyal to the former governor.

He added that another round of talks was later held at the GRA residence of Chief Ferdinand Alabraba, in the presence of members of the Elders Council and other stakeholders.

The Speaker said the lawmakers were taken aback by Fubara’s public denial of these engagements.

Amaewhule further accused the governor of ignoring resolutions reached at those meetings, particularly regarding the submission of the 2024 and 2025 budgets.

He alleged that Fubara had been spending state funds without legislative approval and awarding contracts to individuals linked to the arson attack on the Assembly complex.

“From September, the governor has been spending without our consent,” he said.

“He awards contracts to those behind the burning of the Assembly and they mock us, boasting of being rewarded.”

He added that the Assembly had remained silent in order to avoid escalating political tensions, especially after President Bola Tinubu’s intervention aimed at restoring peace.

Amaewhule also disclosed that an investigation into activities during the period of emergency rule revealed that the former Administrator left over N600 billion in the state’s coffers, a revelation he believes may have contributed to the governor’s hostility.

He faulted Fubara’s response to a recent House Committee on Education report detailing the decay in the state’s education sector, accusing the governor of resorting to personal attacks on the Assembly rather than addressing governance challenges.

“The governor’s comments about the FCT minister are unhelpful. As a leader, he should be above reactionary politics,” the Speaker said, alleging that Fubara was funding social media attacks against lawmakers.

Amaewhule also claimed that the Assembly had begun considering a defection to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2023, a move he said prompted Fubara to sponsor legal actions seeking to declare their seats vacant.

Those attempts, he noted, failed.

He noted that the Assembly remained committed to its constitutional responsibilities and welcomed Fubara’s recent move to the APC but urged him to act within the law.

Google search engine

BREAKING: Court Remands Ex Labour Minister Ngige Over Alleged N2.2bn Fraud, Adjourns Hearing

 

Former Minister of Labour and Productivity, Dr. Chris Ngige, has been ordered to be remanded at the Kuje Correctional Centre pending the hearing of his bail application.

The order was issued on Friday by Justice Mariam Hassan of the Federal Capital Territory High Court after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) arraigned the former Anambra State governor on an eight-count charge bordering on corruption involving ₦2.2 billion.

Justice Hassan adjourned proceedings to Monday, December 15, for the formal hearing of the bail request.

During Friday’s session, EFCC counsel Sylvanus Tahir asked the court to fix a date for the commencement of trial.

He also urged the judge to permit Ngige to remain in EFCC custody pending the court’s decision on bail.

However, Ngige’s counsel objected, noting that the former minister had already spent three days in EFCC detention.

He described Ngige as a well-known public figure who last held office barely a year and three months ago and assured the court that the defence team was ready to meet any bail conditions set by the court.

He also informed the judge that the defendant was in poor health and required medical attention.

Ngige arrived at the FCT High Court around 8:10 am under EFCC escort before being formally arraigned. Court documents show he was listed as the sole defendant in charge number FCT/HC/CR/726/2025.

The EFCC alleged that Ngige, while serving as Minister of Labour and supervising the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF), used his office to grant unlawful advantages to several companies linked to his associates.

According to the eight-count charge dated October 31 and filed on December 9:

Count One: He allegedly influenced the award of seven NSITF contracts worth ₦366,470,920.68 to Cezimo Nigeria Limited, owned by his associate Ezebinwa Amarachukwu Charles.

Count Two: He was accused of awarding eight contracts valued at ₦583,682,686.00 to Zitacom Nigeria Limited, also linked to Ezebinwa.

Count Three: Ngige allegedly facilitated the award of eight contracts amounting to ₦362,043,163.16 to Jeff & Xris Limited, owned by Nwosu Jideofor Chukwunwike, another associate.

Count Four: He was said to have used his position to help Olde English Consolidated Limited, owned by Uzoma Igbonwa, secure four NSITF contracts worth ₦668,138,141.00.

All alleged offences were said to have occurred between September 2015 and May 2023.

The court is expected to rule on Ngige’s bail application at the next hearing.

Google search engine

Governors Free To Leave, We Aren’t Begging Anyone To Stay – Turaki-Led PDP

 

The Taminu Turaki-led National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) says it has not pleaded with any governor or member to remain in the party, insisting that its current outreach efforts are aimed solely at rebuilding and strengthening the organisation.

PDP National Publicity Secretary, Ini Ememobong, stated this during a live television programme on Thursday night.

He explained that the new leadership has been engaging stakeholders across all levels, including governors, but is not pressuring anyone to stay.

Ememobong said while former Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke’s defection to the Accord Party was the result of “unfortunate circumstances,” Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara played a direct role in the crisis that ultimately led to his exit.

According to him, “Every executive has the power to take decisions that may be legal but morally questionable.”

“So, we are not begging anyone. The Turaki-led NWC is reaching out, just as the governors’ forum is also reaching out. But there is always a fine line between what is illegal and what is immoral.”

Speaking on Adeleke’s departure, Ememobong said the former governor became entangled in a chain of events the party could have managed better if stronger decisions had been taken earlier.

He explained that weak responses from PDP leaders after the party’s decline in 2023 allowed internal issues to fester.

“At leadership level, decisive action should have been taken from 2023. Instead, we kept negotiating, hoping that when tempers cooled, stakeholders would reconsider.”

“Unfortunately, things deteriorated until the Ibadan convention made its pronouncement,” he said.

Ememobong rejected suggestions that the party was making excuses for Fubara or Adeleke, saying both men contributed to the crises that engulfed them.

He said Fubara had consistently avoided transparency about the alleged agreements made with those who helped him emerge as PDP candidate.

“We sympathise with him as a person,” he said. “Fubara has always been a calm, gentle individual pushed to the wall. But attempting to shift the blame is what we oppose.”

The spokesman said even fellow governors had at various points reached out to support Fubara, only to find him unresponsive.

“Some governors told me they deployed help, but he would either go silent or say, ‘Don’t worry, we’ll handle it.’ Volenti non fit injuria, no harm is done to a willing party,” Ememobong added.

He accused the governor of selective memory regarding the origins of the crisis, likening it to “Stockholm syndrome, where a captive begins to identify with the captor.”

Ememobong argued that third parties only intervene in political conflicts after affected actors confirm the existence of a crisis.

“If agreements are holding and the state is not suffering, there is no reason to intervene because you wouldn’t even know there was an agreement,” he said.

He faulted Fubara for failing to consult the party or the PDP Governors’ Forum before attending a meeting with President Bola Tinubu at the height of the crisis.

“Even after his election, it took a long time before he properly identified with the party,” he said.

“We understood that his hands might have been tied. But once he felt the heat, he started calling for help.”

Google search engine

Fulani Attacking Christians In IDP Camps – US Congressman, Moore

 

United States Congressman Riley Moore has revealed that Christians seeking refuge in Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps in Benue State, Nigeria, have been targeted by Fulani herdsmen and Islamic extremists.

Moore, who represents West Virginia’s 2nd District, made the disclosure following a fact-finding mission to Nigeria, sent by former U.S President Donald Trump to investigate the persecution of Christians.

“Fulani herdsmen and Islamic radicals are attacking IDP camps. They are assaulting people who are supposed to be safe,” Moore told Fox News, describing the incidents as horrifying.

During the visit, Moore and the U.S. delegation met survivors of violent attacks. He recounted hearing stories that left him “shocked beyond words.”

One woman, who lost five children in front of her while pregnant, managed to escape to an IDP camp and gave birth there.

Another survivor recounted losing her husband, two daughters, and unborn child to the assailants.

“These atrocities are unimaginable,” Moore said.

“The victims’ suffering is beyond what I have ever witnessed in my life.”

The delegation traveled under heavy security in armored vehicles due to the dangerous conditions in Benue State.

Moore emphasized that the mission aimed to gather first-hand information to prepare a report for President Trump.

“We went there to see the reality on the ground, to document these attacks, and to provide recommendations on how to address them,” he added.

Moore explained that the delegation would submit a detailed report, including recommendations, by the end of December.

The Congressman’s visit highlights ongoing security challenges in parts of Nigeria and brings international attention to the plight of Christians in conflict-affected areas.

Google search engine

Tinubu Submits 2026–2028 MTEF/FSP To Senate For Approval

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has forwarded the 2026–2028 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper (MTEF/FSP) to the Senate for consideration and approval.

Deputy Senate President Jibrin Barau read the President’s request during Thursday’s plenary.

In the letter titled “Submission of the FGN 2026–2028 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper,” Tinubu said the documents had been approved by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) at its December 3, 2025 meeting.

He emphasised that the 2026 national budget will be prepared based on the fiscal assumptions and parameters contained in the approved MTEF/FSP and therefore urged lawmakers to expedite their review.

Among the key assumptions endorsed by FEC are a crude oil benchmark price of $64.85 per barrel and an exchange rate of N1,512 to $1 for the 2026 budget cycle.

Barau referred the submission to the Senate Committee on Finance, chaired by Senator Sani Musa, with a directive to present its report by December 17.

The Senate thereafter adjourned plenary to enable committees to continue examining the fiscal framework.

President Tinubu also transmitted the same documents to the House of Representatives, where Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu formally read them.

The MTEF/FSP serves as the foundation for the federal budget under the Fiscal Responsibility Act and must be approved by the National Assembly before the 2026 Appropriation Bill can be presented.

Google search engine

MOST COMMENTED

- Advertisement -
Google search engine