Home Blog

Another Serving Senator Dies

The Nigerian Senate has been thrown into mourning following the death of the lawmaker representing Rivers South-East Senatorial District, Barinada Mpigi, who passed away at the age of 64 after a brief illness.

Sources within the National Assembly confirmed that the senator died on Thursday, bringing a somber mood to the chamber during legislative proceedings.

Until his death, Mpigi served in the 10th Senate and chaired the Committee on Works, a strategic body responsible for oversight of federal road infrastructure and related projects nationwide.

He was first elected into the House of Representatives in 2011 and returned for another term before moving to the Senate in 2019 on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party.

During the 9th Assembly, he also led a joint Senate committee mandated to investigate crude oil theft in the Niger Delta, at a time the country faced revenue losses and widespread pipeline vandalism.

News of his passing filtered into the Senate chamber during committee sessions, prompting tributes from lawmakers.

Senator Mohammed Onawo described the late legislator as committed and dedicated to national service, while colleagues observed a minute’s silence in his honour.

Tributes also came from members of the House of Representatives, including Works Committee Chairman Akin Alabi, who praised Mpigi’s contributions to legislative work and national development.

His death comes just months after the passing of another serving senator, Okey Ezea, highlighting a string of losses within the current Assembly.

Mpigi’s demise has once again left the Senate grieving one of its active members, with colleagues recalling his role in infrastructure oversight and national policy engagement.

Google search engine

Putin Backs Madagascar’s New Leader As Moscow Deepens Africa Ties

Russian President Vladimir Putin listens to Madagascar's President Michael Randrianirina during their meeting at the Grand Kremlin Palace in Moscow on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Alexander Zemlianichenko / POOL / AFP)

Russian President Vladimir Putin has expressed support for Madagascar’s interim leader, Colonel Michael Randrianirina, during a meeting at the Kremlin, signalling Moscow’s growing diplomatic and strategic outreach across Africa.

Randrianirina, who assumed leadership after the former president fled the country following protests in October, travelled to Moscow for talks with the Russian government.

His visit came weeks after Russia delivered military equipment to Madagascar and expanded security cooperation with the island nation.

At the meeting, Putin described Madagascar as an important partner and highlighted areas of potential collaboration, including agriculture, energy, geological exploration, healthcare, and education.

He said Moscow was prepared to deepen bilateral ties across humanitarian and economic sectors.

Russia has intensified engagement across Africa in recent years, partly through security partnerships and the activities of groups such as the Wagner Group, while also competing for influence with Western powers, particularly France.

The Kremlin also conveyed condolences to Madagascar over a recent cyclone that claimed dozens of lives.

The Moscow trip marked one of Randrianirina’s first major foreign engagements since taking office.

Before departing his country, the interim leader said he had been invited by Russia, which also facilitated his travel arrangements.

Following his visit to Moscow, he is expected to continue diplomatic consultations in France as part of broader international engagements.

Google search engine

Gov Okpebholo Appoints Mercy Johnson As Special Adviser

Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo has appointed Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson-Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy.

The appointment was disclosed in a statement issued on Thursday by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, who said the move was aimed at strengthening communication and public interaction around government policies and programmes.

According to the statement, the governor approved Johnson-Okojie’s appointment in recognition of her influence, grassroots appeal, and experience in public advocacy.

The communiqué noted that she is an accomplished actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist with a career spanning nearly two decades and appearances in over 200 films.

It also highlighted her work through the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, where she has supported initiatives focused on women empowerment, child welfare, education, and healthcare outreach.

Ikhilor added that Johnson-Okojie is expected to deploy her visibility and engagement capacity to improve communication between the government and citizens across the state.

Her husband, Odianosen Okogie, represents Esan North East/South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.

Google search engine

2027: South-East NANS Vows To Purchase Nomination Form For Tinubu

Members of the South-East chapter of the National Association of Nigerian Students have announced plans to raise funds to purchase the expression of interest and nomination forms for President Bola Tinubu ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The students also pledged to mobilise more than 20,000 youths across the region for a second-term endorsement rally, citing what they described as the administration’s impact on the education sector and youth development.

The declaration was made during a meeting held at the Education Trust Fund Hall of Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Igbariam campus, Anambra State, where the South-East NANS leadership gathered with student representatives.

Speaking at the event, the regional coordinator, Okoye Okpala, said the students’ primary concern had always been welfare, academic advancement, and protection of their interests.

He noted that recent policies affecting education financing informed their support for the President.

According to him, the current administration’s initiatives, particularly the intervention through the Nigerian Education Loan Fund, have provided relief to many students who previously struggled with tuition and upkeep.

He stated that the zero-interest loan policy had enabled hundreds of thousands of students to remain in school and pursue their academic ambitions, describing it as a practical demonstration of inclusive leadership.

Okpala also referenced comments attributed to former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi regarding the future of the student loan programme, arguing that such policies should be protected to sustain access to education.

He maintained that the students’ position was based on what they described as measurable impact rather than sentiment, stressing that policies that keep students in school and reduce financial burdens would always earn their support.

The coordinator added that students in the South-East would continue to rally behind initiatives that promote opportunity, strengthen education financing, and secure the academic future of young Nigerians ahead of the next election cycle.

Google search engine

Traditional Ruler Murdered By Gunmen After Foiled Kidnap Attempt

Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead after suspected gunmen attacked his residence.

Sources said the attackers stormed the palace on Wednesday night and attempted to abduct the monarch.

He reportedly resisted the abduction, after which he was shot.

Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo State, Jimoh Abayomi, said security operatives had launched a manhunt for the perpetrators.

“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.

“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.

“Efforts are ongoing to track down and arrest the perpetrators of this heinous crime. Monitoring activities have also been strengthened to ensure the safety of residents and prevent a breakdown of law and order.”

Google search engine

JUST IN: Court Nullifies Disapproval Letter, Orders INEC To Register NDP In Landmark Judgment

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has directed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to register the National Democratic Party (NDP) as a political party, following a ruling that the association satisfied all legal requirements.

Delivering judgment, Mohammed Umar of the Federal High Court held that the plaintiffs, led by NDP National Chairman Ada Frederick Okwori, complied with constitutional and statutory provisions guiding party registration.

The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/2796/2025, asked the court to compel INEC to recognise the association after it allegedly failed to act on its application.

In his ruling delivered on February 16, 2026, Justice Umar affirmed that the group met the conditions outlined in Sections 222–224 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), as well as relevant provisions of the Electoral Act 2022 and INEC’s regulations for political parties.

The court declared that the association had fulfilled all requirements necessary for registration and that the electoral commission had a legal duty to grant it recognition.

Justice Umar also nullified INEC’s letter dated December 18, 2025, which declined or failed to approve the application, describing it as invalid and without legal effect.

He subsequently ordered the commission to register the NDP without delay and grant it all rights and privileges accorded to recognised political parties, including the issuance of a certificate of registration and related documents.

The court further ruled that if INEC fails to carry out the directive, the NDP would be deemed duly registered by operation of Section 75(4) of the Electoral Act 2022.

Google search engine

South Korea’s Former President Yoon Jailed For Life Over Insurrection Conviction

(FILES) South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol speaks during a joint press conference with Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani, chairperson of the African Union, following the 2024 Korea-Africa Summit in Goyang on June 4, 2024. South Korea's former president Yoon Suk Yeol resisted prosecutors' attempts to interrogate him by lying down on the floor in just his underwear, lawyers said on August 1, 2025. (Photo by Jung Yeon-je / AFP)

A South Korean court has sentenced former president Yoon Suk Yeol to life imprisonment after finding him guilty of masterminding an insurrection linked to his failed attempt to impose military rule in December 2024.

The court ruled that Yoon’s declaration of martial law — which lasted only six hours before lawmakers intervened — destabilised the government, polarised the country, and triggered a constitutional crisis.

He had earlier been impeached, arrested, and charged with multiple offences stemming from the episode.

Supporters gathered outside the courthouse in Seoul following the verdict, with some calling for an appeal while others expressed shock and disappointment.

Analysts say the ruling is unlikely to end the legal and political saga surrounding the former leader, who still faces additional trials related to the martial law order.

Correspondents report that Yoon is expected to challenge the decision in higher courts, a process that could take months.

He also retains the option of seeking a presidential pardon, though that appears unlikely under the current administration led by Lee Jae Myung.

The case has deepened political divisions within South Korea, where the brief imposition of martial law continues to shape national debate about democracy, security, and executive power.

Other officials linked to the incident have also been convicted, including former cabinet members and security chiefs accused of supporting the failed attempt.

Observers say the verdict underscores the judiciary’s determination to hold public officials accountable for actions seen as threatening constitutional order.

Google search engine

Gov. Mbah’s Lenten Message To Ndi-Enugu: A Blend Of Spirituality And Pragmatism

By Dr. Malachy Chuma Ochie,

In his recent Lenten message to Ndi-Enugu, Governor Peter Mbah did more than offer seasonal piety! He articulated a philosophy of leadership that fuses faith with function, spirituality with statecraft, and prayer with purposeful governance.

Lent, in the Christian tradition, is a season of reflection, sacrifice, and renewal. Yet in the governor’s message, it became something more profound. It became a moral compass for public leadership and collective responsibility.

For Mbah, spirituality is not a retreat from governance; it is its ethical foundation. He called on Ndi-Enugu to embrace sacrifice, discipline, and compassion, virtues that resonate deeply in a society striving for transformation.

But unlike empty religiosity that often populates political rhetoric, his message was anchored in pragmatic optimism. He linked personal introspection with societal progress, urging citizens to internalize the values of integrity, hard work, and hope as prerequisites for building a prosperous state. In doing so, he reframed Lent from a purely ecclesiastical observance into a civic call to action.

This blend of spirituality and pragmatism reflects a leadership style that understands the psychology of the people. Enugu is a land of deep faith, where the sacred and the secular constantly intersect. By invoking Lenten ideals, Mbah situates governance within the moral imagination of the people.

Yet his administration simultaneously drives forward with ambitious infrastructural renewal, security reforms, educational transformation, and economic expansion. The message is clear: prayer must walk hand in hand with productivity; faith must translate into measurable progress.

Indeed, the governor’s appeal underscores a critical truth about contemporary leadership in Nigeria, and that relates to the fact that development cannot be sustained without moral capital. By encouraging Ndi-Enugu to embody forgiveness, unity, and sacrifice, he strengthens the social cohesion necessary for reforms to take root.

By emphasizing renewal, he mirrors the broader transformation agenda of his administration. The spiritual metaphor becomes a governance strategy. Just as Lent prepares believers for resurrection, disciplined reforms prepare a state for rebirth.

In Gov. Peter Mbah, therefore, we witness a rare synthesis. He neither exploits religion nor divorces governance from moral reflection. Instead, he demonstrates that visionary leadership in a plural and faith-driven society requires both a soul and a strategy. His Lenten message stands as testimony that true progress is not merely engineered in policy documents but cultivated in the hearts of the people.

Google search engine

El-Rufai Is In Our Custody, ICPC Confirms

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that former Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai is currently in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.
ICPC spokesperson John Odey disclosed that

El-Rufai remained with the commission as of the close of work on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, noting that the detention relates to issues under investigation, although further details were not provided.

The development follows a series of allegations and engagements between the former governor and security agencies.

Earlier, El-Rufai had acknowledged receiving an invitation from the ICPC and confirmed through his lawyer that he would honour the summons.

His situation comes days after he interacted with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged financial improprieties linked to his tenure as governor from 2015 to 2023.

Previously, the Kaduna State House of Assembly had accused him of diverting ₦423 billion in public funds and recommended that anti-corruption agencies investigate the matter.

The unfolding case also intersects with separate allegations involving claims that the phone of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, was intercepted.

The Department of State Services (DSS) subsequently filed charges alleging cybercrime and unlawful interception of communications.

Prosecutors said the alleged actions contravene provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024, as well as the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

El-Rufai, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress, has yet to publicly respond to the latest confirmation of his detention by the ICPC, and no date has been fixed for his arraignment.

Google search engine

BREAKING: Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

The Rivers State House of Assembly has halted impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following the intervention of President Bola Tinubu.

The decision was reached on Thursday during plenary at the Assembly’s resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, with lawmakers moving a motion to suspend the impeachment process.

Speaker of the House, Martin Amaewhule, presided over the session where the proceedings were formally halted.

The development comes after the Assembly, at its first sitting of 2026, initiated impeachment steps against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct.

The accusations included the demolition of the state assembly complex and expenditure without legislative approval, among other claims.

Stay tuned for more details…

Google search engine

MOST COMMENTED

- Advertisement -
Google search engine