Home Blog Page 255

2027: Why Defection Wave Won’t Save Tinubu – Melaye

 

Senator Dino Melaye, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), has warned that the recent spate of governors defecting to the All Progressives Congress (APC) will not strengthen the party or enhance President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s chances in the 2027 election.

In a Facebook post, Melaye argued that the so‑called “governor factor” has lost its power to determine electoral outcomes, pointing to the 2023 presidential election as proof that Nigerians are voting beyond the influence of state governors and party machines.

He noted that despite the APC controlling 22 states, it faltered in key regions in 2023, while the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Labour Party (LP) performed strongly in states governed by the APC.

“The ruling APC, despite controlling 22 state governments, struggled to maintain coherence and voter confidence,” Melaye said.

He stressed that Nigerians have become more politically aware and independent‑minded, and that 2023 was only a “warning shot”,  the real reckoning is coming in 2027.

“The governors can all decamp to the ruling party and hold hands on the way down; the electorate will ensure it is a spectacular collective defeat,” he warned.

Melaye also described both the APC and PDP as parties “sitting on powder‑kegs” due to internal contradictions, corruption and loss of public trust, while portraying the ADC as a fresh, people‑driven alternative.

“The age of imposed loyalty is giving way to one of independent conviction,” he declared, adding that 2027 will be an “election of the governed, not of governors”.

Google search engine

Nnamdi Kanu Opens Defence, Lists Uzodinma, Wike, Danjuma, Umahi, Buratai, Others As Witnesses

 

Hours after protests in Abuja calling for his release, IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu told the Federal High Court he is ready to begin his defence. Previously on 16 October, he filed a preliminary objection challenging the court’s jurisdiction; a medical panel had also declared him fit to stand trial.

In a fresh motion filed on 21 October, Kanu said he intends to call 23 witnesses, divided into two categories: “ordinary but material” and “vital and compellable” under Section 232 of the Evidence Act, 2011.

Among the high‑profile names listed as compellable are Gen. Theophilus Danjuma (rtd), former Minister of Defence, Gen. Tukur Buratai (rtd), former Chief of Army Staff, Babajide Sanwo‑Olu, Governor of Lagos State, Hope Uzodimma, Governor of Imo State, Nyesom Wike, Minister of the FCT, Dave Umahi, Minister of Works and Abubakar Malami, SAN, former Attorney‑General of the Federation.

Kanu requested a 90‑day timeframe to complete his defence in light of the number of witnesses.

He emphasised his commitment to testify personally and provide sworn statements, stressing that “justice is not only done but manifestly seen to have been done.”

On the same day, a magistrate court in Abuja remanded 13 individuals including his special counsel, Aloy Ejimakor arrested after the protest, and adjourned their arraignment until 24 October.

Google search engine

Confusion In Enugu As Blackout Hits Key Areas, MainPower Clarifies Situation

 

Residents of Enugu have expressed growing concerns over reports of an impending 10-day power outage in the city.

However, MainPower Electricity Distribution Limited (MEDL) has clarified that the planned outage will not be continuous or citywide.

In a statement issued by MEDL’s Head of Corporate Communications, Emeka Ezeh, the company explained that the outages are due to essential maintenance work by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) at the New Haven Station.

According to the statement, the planned power interruptions will run from Wednesday, October 22 to Thursday, October 31, 2025, but will only affect specific parts of Enugu on scheduled days between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. each day.

The affected areas, listed by their 33KV feeder lines and maintenance dates, include:

  • Kingsway Line 1 – October 22
  • Emene Industrial Line 1 – October 23
  • Thinkers Corner – October 24
  • Trans-Ekulu – October 25
  • Kingsway Line 2 & 9th Mile – October 26
  • Emene Industrial Line 2 – October 28
  • Ugwuogo – October 29
  • Ituku Ozalla – October 31

MEDL emphasized that only one feeder will be shut down per day, and customers in those areas will experience power cuts only on their scheduled maintenance date.

The company apologized for the inconvenience and asked for public understanding, stressing that the upgrades are aimed at improving long-term power supply and system reliability in the Enugu metropolis.

“We regret any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate the patience of our customers during this important infrastructure upgrade,” the statement added.

Google search engine

Tears Of Joy As Anambra Police Rescue Two Children After Nine‑Month Search

 

After nine long months of uncertainty and heartbreak, two missing children, Sunday Aliya (14) and Ebenezer Emmanuel (12) have been rescued by the Anambra State Police Command, bringing a sombre ordeal to an emotional close.

The case first came to light on January 18, 2025, when the boys’ guardian reported them missing after they went to fetch water at a local borehole and never returned.

The matter was referred to the Command’s State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Gender Section for further investigation.

Acting on intelligence, officers tracked a key suspect, Yusuf, to Katsina State; he provided leads that directed the team to Umunede in Delta State, where Sunday Aliya was found.

Subsequent leads led to the rescue of Ebenezer Emmanuel in Benin City, Edo State.

Commissioner of Police Ikioye Orutugu commended the persistence and professionalism of the operatives, emphasising the Command’s commitment to pursuing every case “no matter how long it takes.”

The rescued children’s parents, based in Ilorin, Kwara State, have been contacted and arrangements are being made for their formal reunification.

Google search engine

Court Nullifies Ebonyi LG Election, Sacks All Council Chairmen, Councilors

 

A Federal High Court in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, has invalidated the July 2024 local government and councillorship elections, declaring that the polls failed to comply with the provisions of the Electoral Act.

Justice H.I.O. Oshomah, who delivered the judgment, ordered the Ebonyi State Independent Electoral Commission (EBSIEC) and the state government to refrain from organising further council elections until the process fully aligns with the 1999 Constitution and the Electoral Act.

The ruling stems from a suit brought by Mr. Samuel Udeogu and Mr. Isu Amaechi, with representation by Hamilton Ogbodo and Chief Mudi Erhenede respectively.

After the judgment, lawyer Hamilton Ogbodo stated:

“The local government election conducted in July 2024 in Ebonyi State is no more; it has been cancelled by this court.”

He urged the state government to comply with the court order or face contempt proceedings once the appeal window closes.

Chief Mudi Erhenede pointed out that the judgement reaffirmed a previous ruling by the late Justice Riman, which had nullified the 2022 local government polls in the state, a judgment the state government allegedly ignored by swearing‑in council officials.

Google search engine

BREAKING: ASUU Suspends Nationwide Strike, Gives FG One Month To Address Demands

 

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has suspended its two-week warning strike, granting the Federal Government a one-month window to address its demands.

Detail shortly…

Google search engine

NELFUND Opens Student Loan Portal For 2025/2026 Academic Year

 

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) has officially launched its online student loan application portal for the 2025/2026 academic session, offering financial aid to eligible students across Nigeria’s tertiary institutions.

According to a statement issued on Tuesday by NELFUND’s Director of Strategic Communications, Oseyemi Oluwatuyi, the application window will open on Thursday, October 23, 2025, and close on Saturday, January 31, 2026.

Fresh applicants are encouraged to apply using either their JAMB Registration Number or Admission Number, especially if they have not yet been issued a matriculation number.

In the statement, NELFUND called on higher institutions to show flexibility with registration deadlines and fee payment timelines for students whose loan applications are still being processed.

“Institutions are encouraged to exercise leniency regarding registration and tuition payment for applicants awaiting loan approval,” the agency stated.

It also urged schools that have yet to begin their 2025/2026 academic calendar to formally notify NELFUND with their approved academic schedules, so that appropriate adjustments can be made for their students.

To prevent students from being locked out of the education system due to financial hardship, NELFUND is advocating for temporary registration measures in all institutions.

“We appeal to schools to ensure that no student is denied access to education while their loan is being processed,” the agency emphasized.

Google search engine

CAN Fires Back At Presidency, Insists Christian Genocide Is Real

 

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has accused the Presidency of misrepresenting its position on the ongoing killings of Christians across the country, asserting that what is happening in parts of northern Nigeria and the Middle Belt amounts to a “Christian genocide.”

The controversy erupted after the office of Daniel Bwala, Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Media & Policy Communication, reportedly described CAN’s remarks as referring to a “so‑called Christian genocide.” CAN said that attribution was false and unfair.

According to a statement signed by Daniel Okoh, President of CAN, “Across many parts of northern Nigeria and the Middle Belt, Christian communities have suffered repeated, organised and brutal attacks which have left thousands dead, villages destroyed and families displaced.”

“These are not isolated crimes but a continuing pattern of violence that has persisted for years without justice or closure.”

Meanwhile, Matthew Hassan Kukah, Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, appealed to the global community not to designate Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC) over alleged religious persecution.

He warned that such a designation could harm ongoing inter‑faith dialogue and peace efforts.

CAN also urged the Federal Government and security agencies to act with urgency, fairness and transparency, between faiths and regions, to halt the violence and bring perpetrators to justice.

The association further called on media professionals and government officials to speak responsibly, emphasizing that “careless words can deepen wounds and undermine peace.”

Google search engine

Wabara Demands Release Of Kanu’s Brother, Lawyer, Says Crackdown On Protesters A Serious Dent On Nigeria’s Global Image

 

Former Senate President Adolphus Wabara has demanded the immediate release of all individuals arrested during Monday’s peaceful #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest in Abuja.

The call came as normalcy slowly returned to the Federal Capital Territory following the confrontation between security forces and demonstrators calling for the liberation of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

In a court sitting at Kuje, Abuja, a magistrate remanded Emmanuel Kanu (brother to IPOB’s leader) and their lawyer, Aloy Ejimakor, along with others.

Wabara sharply condemned the actions of security operatives who fired teargas canisters and allegedly mistreated a journalist covering the protest.

He described the crackdown as “a serious dent on Nigeria’s global image.”

He further warned that such arrests could escalate tensions in the South‑East, emphasising that the right to peaceful protest is a fundamental citizen right.

Comparing the situation to the US “No King” protest involving millions, Wabara challenged Nigerian security agencies to learn from international standards in handling demonstrations.

He also criticised the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC)‑led federal government, accusing it of resorting to intimidation and brute force against dissenting voices.

Google search engine

Court Order Forcing Marriage Between TikTok Creators Violates Human Rights – NBA

 

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has strongly condemned an alleged court order in Kano State that reportedly mandates two popular TikTok content creators to marry each other within 60 days.

The creators, Idris Mai Wushirya and Basira Yar Guda, became the subject of controversy after a video they posted online, which featured affectionate scenes, was deemed “indecent” by state authorities.

The Kano State Films and Video Censorship Board claimed the content violated public morality and religious norms.

Following their arraignment, Magistrate Halima Wali allegedly issued an order requiring the two to marry as part of a ruling tied to charges of producing and distributing obscene material.

In a swift response, NBA President Afam Osigwe described the reported court directive as an outrageous misuse of judicial power.

“No court in Nigeria has the constitutional authority to compel two people to marry,” Osigwe said.

“Such an order is unlawful, unconstitutional, and a violation of the fundamental rights of the individuals involved.”

Osigwe emphasized that marriage is a voluntary union between consenting adults, and cannot be imposed by any institution, especially as a form of punishment or social correction.

“This alleged ruling tramples on the rights to personal liberty, dignity, and privacy as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution (as amended),” he added.

The NBA president further stated that forcing marriage through a court order represents a serious case of judicial overreach and could erode public trust in Nigeria’s legal system.

“Courts must serve as defenders of justice and constitutional freedoms, not as tools for enforcing morality or cultural norms.”

He called for an urgent review of the case by the appropriate judicial authorities and urged the judiciary to prevent similar unconstitutional decisions in the future.

The NBA also directed its Citizens’ Liberties Committee and Women’s Forum to closely follow the situation and ensure that the rule of law is upheld.

This incident follows increased scrutiny over the role of social media in Nigerian society and the response of state authorities, particularly in conservative regions like Kano.

Google search engine

MOST COMMENTED

- Advertisement -
Google search engine