Home Blog Page 280

No Jupiter Can Stop Our Convention, Not Even Defection Rumors – Gov. Bala Mohammed

 

Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed, who chairs the PDP Governors’ Forum, has declared that neither defections nor external pressures will derail the party’s National Convention, slated for November 15–16 in Ibadan, Oyo State.

Speaking at the inauguration of the PDP National Convention Publicity & Communication Sub‑Committee in Abuja, Mohammed reaffirmed the party’s unity and resilience.

He said the PDP is resolute in its plan to go ahead with the convention as scheduled, pledging that it will emerge stronger ahead of the 2027 elections.

The PDP has faced internal strains, particularly from supporters of FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, who have raised objections over zonal leadership arrangements in Cross River, Akwa Ibom, and Plateau States.

Tensions also surround the micro‑zoning strategy for the convention.

Some governors, including Peter Mbah (Enugu) and Douye Diri (Bayelsa), have been rumored to be considering defection ahead of the event.

Mohammed urged party leaders to change the narrative and remain steadfast, saying the PDP has weathered many storms.

“This convention is here to stay, we are going to Ibadan by the grace of God,” he affirmed.

He added: “No Jupiter will stop us. No dark force will prevail over us. We don’t have to despair under APC misrule — this is our moment to chart a new course. Resist the distractions, stay the course.”

The governor also appealed to members of the Convention Committee to actively sensitise the public and restore confidence in the party’s democratic credentials.

Google search engine

Agballah Fumes As APC NWC Dissolves Enugu Exco, Labels Action “Illegal, Military-Style Coup, Strange Unconstitutional Takeover”

 

Hon. Ugochukwu Agballah, once Chairman of the APC in Enugu State, has fired back at the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) after they dissolved the state executive. In a strong communique, he called the decision “strange, unconstitutional, and reminiscent of military-style impunity.”

The ousted executive, through Agballah and State Publicity Secretary Hon. Titus Ezeagu, condemned the NWC’s 179th meeting held on October 9, 2025, which nullified their duly elected leadership and installed a seven-member caretaker committee led by Ben Nwoye and Eugene Odo.

Agballah argued that their state executive was legitimately elected under APC’s constitution, and therefore could not be arbitrarily removed.

He accused the national leadership of trampling on the party’s internal laws by not affording them a fair hearing before taking such drastic action.

“Every organization is governed by rules. Our great party cannot descend into arbitrary orders reminiscent of the past,” Agballah stated.

He invoked Article 21B(VI)(D) of the APC constitution, which mandates that the Southeast Zonal Executive must first act in state-level disciplinary matters before the national body intervenes, a step he says, was ignored.

He also challenged the credibility of the caretaker team, claiming many of its members were previously expelled or suspended for anti-party conduct.

Despite the dissolution, Agballah insisted that all elected officials in Enugu State should remain in office and resist any directive from the caretaker committee.

He urged members at all levels, wards, local government, zones to refuse participation in any activity not recognized by the original state executive.

“We reject the NWC’s resolution in its entirety and call on members to ignore any directive not issued by the duly elected state executive committee,” he declared.

Google search engine

Councilors Move To Impeach Ebonyi LGA Chairman Over Alleged Power Grab, Petitions Governor Nwifuru

 

A political crisis is unfolding in Onicha Local Government Area of Ebonyi State as 11 out of the 12 councillors in the legislative arm have moved against the Council Chairman, Hon. Ikechukwu Ogboffia, accusing him of high-handedness, abuse of power, and political marginalization.

The councillors, in a strongly worded petition addressed to Governor Francis Nwifuru, alleged that the chairman has sidelined elected councillors and key stakeholders, thereby stalling effective governance and grassroots development in the LGA.

The petition, obtained by journalists, lists a long series of grievances, including:

  • Exclusion of councillors from governance
  • Neglect of constituency projects
  • Diversion of palliatives
  • Favoritism and political bias
  • Unexecuted budget items
  • Poor welfare and unpaid entitlements
  • Breakdown in communication and disrespect by aides
  • Selective implementation of government programs

“It is unfortunate that the chairman has sidelined us completely. Ward mobilization duties have been assigned to his special assistants, rendering councillors irrelevant in their constituencies,” the petition stated.

They also claimed that the chairman ignored Governor Nwifuru’s directives on Christmas palliatives, with most wards receiving less than half of the approved materials.

Furthermore, the councillors accused the chairman of concentrating government projects and youth empowerment programs solely in his ward, Abaomege, to the detriment of others.

“In the entire LGA, only Abaomege ward has benefited from projects in over a year, despite a ₦12 billion budget,” they alleged, raising questions about the ₦100 million allocated for the renovation of the legislative chambers, which they say remains unaccounted for.

Other complaints include:

  • No provision of a legislative bus
  • Five months of unpaid legislative stipends
  • Lack of infrastructure projects unlike previous administrations
  • Humiliation by the chairman’s aides and exclusion from official committees

Reacting to the development, Hon. Ikechukwu Ogboffia denied all allegations, describing them as baseless, politically motivated, and a ploy to tarnish his image ahead of the next local government elections.

Speaking through his Public Relations Officer, Mr. Omekannaya Orogwu, the chairman said:

“The allegations are unfounded. I doubt the petition even came from the councillors, as the House Leader is already denying involvement. Every single point raised is false.”

Addressing claims that only Abaomege ward benefits from projects, Ogboffia clarified that:

“The only projects in Abaomege are a shopping mall and an attempted bridge construction, which has stalled due to funding challenges. No major council projects have been cited there in the past 20 years.”

On the ₦100 million legislative chamber renovation, the chairman’s spokesman said the project is ongoing and questioned the claim that the funds were intended for a new building.

He also denied diverting palliatives or undermining councillors in their roles.

“The chairman never denied them any entitlements. The claim that they’ve been replaced in their functions is false. These are political tactics aimed at weakening his chances for re-election,” Orogwu said.

Google search engine

Court Sacks Ebonyi RTREAN Chairman James Igwe

By Ben Nworie, Abakaliki

The National Industrial Court sitting in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, has removed Mr. James Igwe from office as the Chairman of the Ebonyi State chapter of the Road Transport Employers’ Association of Nigeria (RTREAN), citing a prior criminal conviction.

In a ruling delivered in suit number NICN/ABK/08/2024, the court declared Igwe’s continued leadership as illegal and in violation of the RTREAN Constitution.

The suit was brought before the court by two applicants, Mr. John Agbo and Chief Simeon Nweze, through their counsel, D.I. Okwor.

The applicants asked the court to determine whether Igwe remained qualified to hold office in light of a May 2, 2023 judgment by Justice B.A.N. Ogbu of the Ebonyi State High Court, which found him guilty of conspiracy, forgery and impersonation.

Delivering judgment, Justice O.O. Arowosegbe held that the 3rd Respondent, James Igwe, is no longer legally eligible to occupy the position of RTREAN chairman in Ebonyi State, as provided under Section 6(1) of the association’s amended 2013 Constitution.

“The 3rd Respondent, James Igwe, is illegally occupying the office of the Chairman of RTREAN, Ebonyi State Chapter, by virtue of his criminal conviction as ruled by Justice B.A.N. Ogbu on May 2, 2023,” Justice Arowosegbe ruled.

The judge further declared that the printing and issuance of tickets by Igwe, even after his conviction, amounted to contempt of court and undermined the rule of law.

The court awarded N500,000 in costs against Igwe and ordered him to refund all emoluments received after the High Court’s judgment.

He is to repay the funds with 25% simple interest per annum until he vacates office.

Google search engine

JUST IN: Ben Nwoye-Led APC Caretaker In Enugu Nullifies All Suspensions Imposed By Agballah Leadership

 

In a bold move to reset internal party dynamics, Dr. Ben Nwoye, newly appointed Caretaker Chairman of the APC in Enugu State, has declared all suspensions carried out by the dissolved Ugochukwu Agballa‑led executive null and void.

Addressing party faithful at the APC Secretariat in Enugu, Nwoye condemned the previous leadership’s disciplinary actions as a political caricature designed to weaken the party. He asked pointedly:

“How can you suspend the very building blocks you need to win elections?”

He pledged a fresh start, calling for reconciliation and urging sidelined members to return to the fold. He revealed that the APC national leadership has mandated his return and a push for unity ahead of key upcoming elections.

Nwoye also hinted at a transformed political era in Enugu under Governor Peter Mbah’s influence, stating the party can no longer tolerate internal disunity or silence. He declared:

“With strategy and purpose, APC will not sit on the sidelines, we will lead the agenda in Enugu State.”

His announcement resonated with party leaders and grassroots members, many of whom described it as a decisive step toward healing and repositioning the APC in Enugu.

 

Google search engine

No Room For Drama Kings, Senate Won’t Be Held Hostage By One Disruptive Member – Akpabio

 

Senate President Godswill Akpabio has warned that the National Assembly will not allow any member to hold the chamber “hostage” through disruptive conduct.

His remarks came in a statement issued by his media aide, Eseme Eyiboh, titled “The Trials and Triumphs of a Resilient Nigeria’s 10th Senate”.

Akpabio emphasized that upholding Senate rules is not about muzzling dissent, but preserving order and the dignity of democratic institutions.

He said the upper chamber must demand discipline and respect for its standing orders, insisting that deviation by any member should not derail the collective will of the institution.

The comments directly follow tension with Senator Natasha Akpoti‑Uduaghan (Kogi Central), who has challenged her six‑month suspension and continued to contest the grounds of the Senate’s disciplinary action.

Akpabio stated:

“The Senate cannot and will not be held hostage by the disruptive instincts of any of its members. Democracy thrives only when its institutions are respected and its rules upheld.”

He drew comparisons with democratic parliaments abroad, citing the UK House of Commons, where the authority of the Speaker is absolute and no member is permitted to openly defy rulings without consequence.

“The Nigerian Senate’s Standing Orders are not ceremonial relics. They are the living constitution of the institution,” he added, arguing that they are designed to protect fairness, consistency, and the sanctity of legislative process.

Akpabio defended the Senate’s right to discipline its members when they violate rules, pointing out that in many mature parliaments, members who defy order face suspension or expulsion.

He insisted that enforcement of rules strengthens, rather than weakens, democratic governance.

Describing the 10th Senate as “a chamber of resilience and balance,” he said its leadership is committed to showing that “freedom within order is the truest form of democracy.”

He concluded by reaffirming that dissent is welcome in the Senate, so long as it respects procedural limits.

Google search engine

Senate Only Confirms, Doesn’t Screen – Senator Ndume Speaks On Nnaji Certificate Row

 

Senator Ali Ndume, representing Borno South, clarified on Channels TV’s Politics Today that the Senate’s role is confirmation, not screening, in the wake of the Uche Nnaji certificate forgery scandal.

The uproar erupted after Uche Nnaji, former Minister of Innovation, resigned following serious doubts about his academic credentials.

A Premium Times investigation revealed that UNN disowned his bachelor’s degree after uncovering he never completed his studies.

In his defence, Senator Ndume insisted that security agencies, particularly the DSS/SSS, are responsible for background checks before nominees reach the Senate.

“We are not screening, get this clear. Screening and confirmation are two different things,” he stated.

“The DSS must clear a candidate first; we rely on their reports.”

Ndume also noted that the Senate has previously rejected nominees flagged by security agencies, emphasizing that senators do act when valid red flags are raised.

He lamented that certificate forgery is a systemic issue afflicting more than just political figures, warning of a broader national integrity crisis.

Google search engine

Trump Slams 130% Tarrif On China

 

President Donald Trump has announced that, effective November 1 (or sooner), the United States will impose an additional 100% tariff on Chinese imports, on top of the tariffs China is already paying.

Posting on Truth Social, Trump said:

“Starting November 1st, 2025 (or sooner), the United States of America will impose a Tariff of 100% on China, over and above any Tariff that they are currently paying.”

He also signalled that the U.S would implement export controls on all critical software, amplifying the economic pressure on China.

Trump’s move comes in response to recent Chinese decisions to tighten export restrictions on rare earth materials, key inputs for high‑tech and defense industries.

In his announcement, Trump threatened to pull out of an expected meeting with President Xi Jinping in South Korea, citing escalating tensions.

Market reactions were swift and negative: the S&P 500 fell 2.7%, with declines also in the Dow and Nasdaq.

Google search engine

Court Orders WhatsApp Service On Ex-Commissioner As Libel Battle With Former Lawmaker Escalates

 

An Enugu State High Court has granted a motion for substituted service to allow court documents to be served via WhatsApp and physical posting, in a libel suit involving Professor Victor Nnam, a former Enugu State Commissioner and Managing Director of Geo. Squaremete Innovative Ltd.

Presiding judge, Justice N.R. Oji, issued the directive following claims that Nnam had repeatedly evaded personal service of court processes filed by Dr. Ikechukwu Ezeugwu, a former leader of the Enugu State House of Assembly.

Ezeugwu is seeking ₦1 billion in damages, accusing Nnam of publishing defamatory and damaging statements that allegedly tarnished his reputation and disrupted a pending international business deal.

Invoking Order 7 Rule 5 of the High Court Civil Procedure Rules 2020, Ezeugwu filed a motion ex parte seeking permission for substituted service.

The court granted the request, directing that:

“The originating processes and all other court documents be served on the defendant either by affixing them to the gate of his office at Geo. Squaremete Innovative Ltd., WTC Estate, Ogui New Layout, Enugu, or by sending them to the WhatsApp account linked to his phone number.”

The judge ruled that such service, once carried out, would be deemed proper and valid. The case was subsequently adjourned to October 13, 2025.

Ezeugwu, also a businessman and philanthropist, claims that Nnam maliciously published false and damaging content on May 19, 2025, shortly after his resignation from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The statements were allegedly circulated via online platforms and WhatsApp groups, casting Ezeugwu as a “sycophant,” “unserious,” and a “fake personality.”

The suit further accuses Nnam of questioning Ezeugwu’s legislative performance, labeling him as arrogant and disloyal, and alleging that he unfairly benefited from the administration of former Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, including through alleged land allocations.

Ezeugwu insists that the remarks are baseless and calculated to harm, especially given Nnam’s lack of any official capacity within the PDP.

He claims the publication caused major reputational and financial damage, including the suspension of a scheduled visit by German investors interested in his multi-million-naira raw cashew nut processing factory in Udenu LGA.

He added that the fallout from the article caused friction within his new political party, with members beginning to question his credibility.

Ezeugwu is asking the court to:

  • Declare the publication libelous and defamatory.
  • Restrain Nnam from making further defamatory statements.
  • Compel a public apology in national print media.
  • Award ₦1 billion in punitive damages for lost business opportunities.
  • Award ₦5 million in special damages for legal expenses.
  • Impose 10% monthly interest on any awarded judgment sum until full payment is made.

Despite attempts by mutual contacts to resolve the matter privately, Ezeugwu claims Nnam has refused to retract the statements or issue an apology.

The case continues on October 13.

Google search engine

Prof. Nnam Reacts To Substituted Service In N1 Billion Libel Suit

 

Former Enugu State Commissioner for Lands and Urban Development, Prof. Victor Nnam, has responded to reports of a substituted court service granted in a ₦1 billion libel case filed by former lawmaker, Hon. Ikechukwu Ezeugwu.

Speaking to DAILY GAZETTE in an exclusive interview on Saturday, Prof. Nnam described the lawsuit as “politically motivated” and expressed confidence in the judicial process to resolve the matter.

The legal case follows Ezeugwu’s resignation from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), during which he reportedly made remarks critical of former Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.

Prof. Nnam had publicly responded in defence of the former governor, a move which is believed to have led to the current suit.

Prof. Nnam confirmed that he has been served with the court documents and has instructed his legal team, led by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), to handle the matter.

“This is now before the court, and I trust the judiciary to deal with it accordingly,” he said.

While declining to comment on specific details of the case due to ongoing legal proceedings, Nnam dismissed the public attention around the lawsuit as “unnecessary” and called for a more issue-based approach to public discourse.

Ezeugwu is reportedly seeking ₦1 billion in damages, along with a public apology and a media retraction.

Google search engine

MOST COMMENTED

- Advertisement -
Google search engine