A United States-based Nigerian activist, Baba Adam, has written to Bola Ahmed Tinubu, calling for the immediate withdrawal of the ambassadorial nomination reportedly given to Reno Omokri over concerns about credibility, loyalty and Nigeria’s international image.
In the petition dated February 15, 2026, Adam argued that Omokri’s past public remarks and social media posts raise questions about his suitability for diplomatic service.
He maintained that ambassadors act as direct representatives of the President and the Nigerian state, and any perceived ambiguity in allegiance could undermine the country’s foreign policy posture.
The petition was addressed to the President and copied to Vice President Kashim Shettima, National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu, and Foreign Affairs Minister Yusuf Tuggar, among other senior diplomats and public figures.
Adam cited a television interview in which Omokri reportedly said he “works for Nigeria” and not for the President, describing the statement as one capable of creating uncertainty about diplomatic coherence.
He also alleged that posts on Omokri’s verified Facebook page referring to the President in harsh terms remain publicly accessible, which he said could weaken Nigeria’s global standing if left unaddressed.
According to the activist, permitting a nominee who had previously criticised the sitting President to serve as ambassador could expose the country to ridicule and damage its diplomatic credibility.
Copies of the petition were also forwarded to notable figures including former Chief of Staff Ibrahim Gambari, ex-Foreign Affairs Minister Bolaji Akinyemi, and media personalities Seun Okinbaloye and Reuben Abati.
As of the time of reporting, the Presidency had not issued an official response, while Omokri had yet to publicly react to the call for the withdrawal of his nomination.
The development follows earlier controversy involving activist Omoyele Sowore, who had presented a video in which Omokri allegedly made strong allegations against the President during proceedings at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Sowore is currently facing trial over alleged cyberstalking of the President in a case instituted by the Department of State Services.
During the proceedings before Justice Mohammed Umar, defence counsel Abubakar Marshal questioned a DSS operative, Cyril Nosike, on whether the agency conducts background checks on nominees for sensitive public offices such as ambassadors, ministers and judges.
The witness reportedly said he was not aware whether such vetting processes were carried out, a development that has further stirred debate around the nomination and screening of individuals for diplomatic roles.











