Home Blog Page 318

JUST IN: Two Policemen Killed In Fresh Kogi Ambush

 

Two officers of the Nigerian Police Force serving under MOPOL‑70 were killed on Sunday, 21 September 2025, in a deadly ambush along Ilafin Road in Isanlu, Yagba East Local Government Area.

Authorities say the attack was carried out by unidentified gunmen who opened fire on the officers, inflicting casualties.

Dr. Joshua Dare Monday, Chairman of Yagba East LGA, confirmed the incident, describing it as a “brutal killing” of two gallant officers and an assault on the peace and security of the community.

“The Executive Chairman received with deep shock and profound grief the news of the loss of these officers,” Dr. Monday said.

He paid tribute to their sacrifice and comforted their families, urging security agencies to swiftly investigate and bring the perpetrators to justice.

The ambush has stirred fear among residents, with many calling for improved security, especially along Ilafin Road and other known danger zones.

Dr. Monday also reassured the public that the local government stands in solidarity with law enforcement and remains committed to ensuring safety for all citizens.

He emphasized the need to find those responsible, saying their actions represent a calculated attempt by criminals to destabilize society.

“Their courage and loyalty will not be forgotten,” he said, adding that Yagba East will work closely with the Nigeria Police Force, the Kogi State Command, and other security agencies to restore order.

Google search engine

APC Chieftain Urges Fubara To Sack Ibas’ Appointees

 

A leading member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Eze Chukwuemeka Eze, has called on Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara to immediately dismiss all officials appointed under Vice Admiral Ibok‑Ėtte Ibas, the former Sole Administrator.

Eze, who once served as the National Publicity Secretary of the now‑defunct New People’s Democratic Party (nPDP), made the appeal following Fubara’s reinstatement after a six‑month suspension ordered by President Bola Tinubu.

During Fubara’s suspension, Ibas administered the state and made numerous appointments. Eze claims those should not stand.

“I expect the Governor to sack all the appointees of the illegal Sole Administrator and ensure that nobody imposes anybody on him as his Commissioner or aide even as Nyesom Wike has promised not to act in such a devilish act of imposing anybody on him,” Eze declared.

He also urged the State Assembly to allow for reconciliation by reabsorbing members who resigned or were aligned with Ibas during the emergency rule.

Eze further called on President Tinubu to guarantee Fubara’s political security and warn against any attempt to undermine him via impeachment.

He insisted that Fubara must exercise the full authority of his elected office.

President Tinubu had lifted the state of emergency in Rivers State on September 17, 2025, officially reinstating Fubara.

During the emergency, Ibas suspended all political appointees of Fubara, including commissioners, board members, aides, and other senior officials, and directed them to hand over to permanent secretaries.

Ibas also appointed administrators for Local Government Areas (LGAs) and reconstituted boards, commissions and agencies that had been suspended.

Google search engine

2027: Kwankwaso’s Return To APC Will Seal Tinubu’s Victory – Party Chieftain

 

Chief Sam Nkire, founding member of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), has stated that the return of Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso to the APC would virtually guarantee President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s victory in the 2027 presidential election.

Speaking in a statement on Sunday, Nkire urged President Tinubu to take steps to bring Kwankwaso, the 2023 presidential candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), back into the APC fold, arguing that doing so would strengthen Tinubu’s position ahead of the election.

Although Tinubu is expected to win in 2027, Nkire maintained that including Kwankwaso would “nail the coffin,” metaphorically speaking, of any serious opposition.

He called on Tinubu to explore an agreement with Kwankwaso, pointing out their long-standing relationship and suggesting that their shared history makes such collaboration feasible.

Nkire also recalled how, during the APC primaries in 2014, he and Kwankwaso jointly approached then-APC leader Bola Tinubu to seek his support, which Tinubu declined, saying he had already committed to General Buhari.

According to Nkire, this earlier episode shows the depth of political connections between Kwankwaso and Tinubu, implying that reconciliation is not only possible but natural.

On the conditions for Kwankwaso’s return, Nkire expressed confidence in Tinubu’s ability to negotiate terms, be they political or aligned with broader collaboration efforts.

He suggested that any deal, merger, or alliance that includes Kwankwaso will bolster Tinubu’s chances and solidify the APC’s position going into 2027.

 

Google search engine

UK, Canada, Australia Recognise Palestinian State

 

Britain, Australia and Canada formally recognised the State of Palestine on Sunday, September 21, 2025, marking a dramatic shift in Western foreign policy amid the ongoing Gaza war.

The move came ahead of the United Nations General Assembly session, where world leaders are expected to focus on the two‑state solution. Portugal is also scheduled to recognise Palestine later that same day.

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer said the recognition is meant “to revive the hope of peace for the Palestinians and Israelis and a two‑state solution.”

He stressed that the decision is not a reward for Hamas.

Australia and Canada echoed similar sentiments, aligning this diplomatic move with growing international concern over the humanitarian crisis in Gaza including mass destruction, civilian deaths, and disruptions to food and health supplies.

The announcement drew a sharp rebuke from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who called recognition “rewarding terrorism.” Israel and its allies, including the U.S, signaled loud opposition to what they see as a partisan gesture.

Meanwhile, Palestinian leadership welcomed the decision, calling it a long‑overdue recognition of their aspirations.

Observers note that while recognition is symbolic, it may strengthen diplomatic pressure and shift the momentum ahead of the UN debates.

Many analysts believe more countries will follow suit during the UN General Assembly in New York.

The UK government emphasized that recognition won’t immediately resolve humanitarian suffering or geopolitical tensions, but sees it as a crucial step toward lasting peace.

Google search engine

Soludo Confirms Zoning Of Anambra Governorship Seat

 

Governor Chukwuma Soludo of Anambra State has affirmed that the zoning arrangement for the governorship position among the state’s three senatorial districts has now been officially adopted and should guide future elections.

Speaking on Saturday at Abatete during an endorsement rally organized in his honor, Soludo, who is seeking re-election as the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) candidate in the November 8, 2025 governorship election, stated that zoning has been institutionalised in Anambra politics.

He emphasized that after the South Senatorial District (which he represents) completes its term, it will be the turn of the Central Senatorial District to hold the governorship position for the next eight years.

This follows the North District’s previous eight-year tenure.

The rally also doubled as a homecoming for Ifeanyi Ibezi, a former member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who recently defected to APGA. Soludo welcomed him back, describing APGA as a natural home for progressives in Anambra.

“Anambra is APGA, and APGA is Anambra,” Soludo said, adding that the party has transformed into a people-driven movement with communities organizing support rallies independently.

He praised the growing unity within the party and expressed confidence in winning across all 5,720 polling units and 326 political wards in the state.

Addressing voter apathy in Idemili North LGA, which holds the state’s largest voting population but often records low turnout, the governor called on the electorate to change that narrative in the upcoming poll.

Also speaking at the event, Secretary to the State Government, Solo Chukwulobelu, outlined some of Soludo’s projects in the area, such as the construction of two smart schools and the recruitment of teachers.

He expressed confidence that the achievements would translate into voter support.

APGA National Chairman, Sly Ezeokenwa and State Chairman, Ifeatu Obiokoye, praised Ibezi’s return and reiterated the party’s unity and strength ahead of the election.

Other top party and government figures present including Commissioners Ifeanyi Okoma (Works), Law Mefor (Information) and Nelson Omenugha, as well as Idemili North LGA Chairman Stanley Nkwoka and Idemili South Chair Amaka Obi, pledged their full backing for Soludo’s re-election.

The highlight of the event was the presentation of a ₦20 million cheque in support of the governor’s campaign.

Google search engine

Enugu Police Intensify Manhunt For Killers Of Catholic Priest, Arrest 38 Suspects In Crackdown

 

Enugu police commissioner, Mamman Bitrus Giwa, has ordered a renewed and intensified manhunt for the armed men responsible for the brutal killing of Rev. Fr. Matthew Eya.

The Catholic priest was reportedly shot and killed on the night of September 19, 2025, along the Eha-Ndiagu Eha-Etiti Road in the Eha-Alumona community, Nsukka Local Government Area.

In response to the tragic incident, the CP had immediately directed the Udenu Area Commander and the heads of tactical and operational squads within the Command to launch a full-scale operation to track down the assailants.

Following the directive, police operatives under the Udenu Area Command embarked on a series of raids and bush combing operations targeting known criminal hideouts and black spots in the area.

These efforts have led to the arrest of thirty-eight (38) suspects.

According to police authorities, incriminating exhibits were recovered during the operations, and the suspects are currently undergoing screening as investigations continue.

While expressing condolences to the family of the slain priest and the Catholic Church, CP Giwa vowed that the Command would stop at nothing to ensure that those behind the heinous act are brought to justice.

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Rev. Fr. Matthew Eya. This is a tragic and senseless act of violence. I assure the public and the Church that we will not rest until the perpetrators are caught and made to face the full weight of the law,” CP Giwa stated.

The Police Public Relations Officer for Enugu State Command, SP Daniel Ndukwe, confirmed the development in a statement issued on Sunday.

He emphasized the Command’s unwavering resolve to combat violent crimes across the state.

The killing of Rev. Fr. Eya has sparked widespread condemnation across Nsukka and beyond, with many calling for swift justice and stronger security measures in rural communities.

Google search engine

Alleged Attack On DIG Frank Mba’s Country Home False, Misleading – Enugu Police

 

The Enugu State Police Command has refuted viral social media reports alleging an attack on the country home of the Deputy Inspector-General of Police, DIG Frank Mba, in Ezimo, Udenu Local Government Area of Enugu State.

In an official statement issued on Sunday by the Command’s spokesperson, SP Daniel Ndukwe, the police described the reports as false and misleading, clarifying that there was no attempted attack or abduction involving DIG Mba’s parents or relatives.

According to the statement, the incident being misrepresented occurred on September 18, 2025, at approximately 8pm, when police operatives on a routine patrol in Ezimo responded to a distress call and engaged in a gun battle with armed robbers.

“During the exchange of gunfire, a police officer unfortunately sustained gunshot wounds and was later confirmed dead at the hospital,” SP Ndukwe stated.

One suspect has been arrested in connection with the incident and is currently assisting with the ongoing investigation. A manhunt has also been launched to apprehend the remaining assailants.

The Commissioner of Police in Enugu State, Mamman Bitrus Giwa, has commended the officers for their swift response and urged them to intensify efforts to track down the fleeing suspects.

He reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to tackling violent crime and ensuring public safety across the state.

The police also cautioned the public against spreading false information, urging citizens to verify facts through official channels.

Google search engine

Onoh Urges Tinubu To Release Nnamdi Kanu Into The Custody Of Bianca Ojukwu And Ohanaeze PG

 

Former APC Southeast campaign spokesman, Denge Josef Onoh, has appealed to President Bola Tinubu to release Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), and entrust him to two respected figures: Amb. Bianca Odumegwu‑Ojukwu, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs and Senator John Azuta Mbata, President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide.

In his proposal, Onoh recommends that the governors of Southeast states nominate chairmen of their Traditional Rulers’ Councils, under the leadership of Obi of Onitsha, HRH Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe, to sign the bail bond with the National Security Adviser.

Onoh said his choices, Bianca Ojukwu and Senator Mbata, are based on their integrity, deep‐rooted commitment to Igbo culture, and non‑partisan reputation.

He emphasised that Bianca’s role as the widow of Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu‑Ojukwu and her current diplomatic position uniquely place her to serve as a bridge between the Federal Government and Southeast communities.

He described Senator Mbata as an individual whose leadership transcends election cycles, with a track record of mobilizing Igbo youths and citizens for democratic and civic participation rather than separatist politics.

Onoh further argued that Kanu’s prolonged detention since 2021 has harmed peace and stability in the Southeast, noting that the charges of terrorism and treasonable felony have also fostered insecurity, enabling criminals to exploit tensions under the guise of separatism.

He thanked President Tinubu for his diplomatic efforts through the National Security Adviser as well as others for working toward resolving the violence associated with IPOB’s armed wing, the ESN.

Concluding, Onoh urged the President to use his constitutional prerogative of mercy to release Kanu unconditionally, with the handover into the care of Ojukwu and Mbata.

He believes such a move would de‑escalate tensions, help differentiate legitimate agitators from criminal elements, and restore investor confidence in the Southeast.

 

Google search engine

SERAP, Amnesty Call On Tinubu To Drop Charges Against Sowore, X, Facebook

 

The Socio‑Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) and Amnesty International Nigeria have demanded that President Bola Tinubu immediately withdraw all criminal charges brought against activist Omoyele Sowore and the social media platforms X (formerly Twitter) and Facebook.

These charges stem from Sowore’s posts that criticized the president.

In a joint letter dated September 20, 2025, signed by SERAP deputy director Kolawole Oluwadare and Amnesty International Nigeria director Isa Sanusi, the groups urged Tinubu to order security agencies, particularly the Department of State Services (DSS), to cease using legal processes to silence dissent.

The groups also called on the President to direct the Attorney General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), to draft an anti‑SLAPP law for presentation to the National Assembly.

This law would aim to prevent the misuse of lawsuits to stifle public criticism.

Two of the counts against Sowore are under the Cybercrimes (Amendment) Act of 2024; the others involve criminal defamation, causing public fear and disturbance under the Criminal Code Act.

These charges were filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja on September 16, following Sowore’s refusal to delete certain posts deemed critical of President Tinubu.

According to SERAP and Amnesty, the legal actions taken in this case are neither necessary nor proportionate.

They argue that they create a chilling effect on free speech and are inconsistent with both Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution (as amended) and the country’s international human rights obligations.

The groups have given the government seven days to act.

If the charges are not withdrawn within that timeframe, they warn they may pursue legal action through relevant judicial bodies, including possibly the ECOWAS Court of Justice.

Google search engine

Five Men Remanded For Alleged Robbery Of Ebonyi Government Official

 

Five middle‑aged men have been remanded in Abakaliki Prison on charges of murder, armed robbery, and the unlawful possession of a firearm.

They are accused of robbing a truck valued at ₦39 million, belonging to Dr. Eni Uduma‑Chima, a former chairman of Edda Local Government Area and ex‑House of Assembly member.

Dr. Uduma‑Chima also currently serves as Chair of the Ebonyi State Fertilizer and Chemical Company Limited Board.

The suspects, named Amarachi Irem (27), Oledi Philip‑Nsi (26), Ogbu Nkama (22), Chibueze Nnachi (36), and Okoro Stanley Onuu (39), were arraigned today before Mrs. Sandra Onyibe at the Magistrate’s Court in Abakaliki.

According to the Police Prosecutor, Eze Ndubuaku, the offenses allegedly took place on July 9 at Ndienwuru village, Ekoli‑Edda Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

The charges include four counts: conspiracy, murder, armed robbery, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

In addition, Oledi Philip‑Nsi faces a further charge of attempted murder for an incident allegedly occurring on June 1, 2025, involving Dr. Uduma‑Chima at Ekoli‑Edda.

The prosecutor also stated that one of their alleged victims, Udu Nnachi‑Orji (male), was shot and killed, in an act punishable under Section 319 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 33 Vol. 1, Laws of Ebonyi State, 2009.

The robbery of the truck, valued at ₦39 million, is said to contravene relevant provisions of the same code.

The defense counsel, Mr. Sunday Ajah, petitioned the court for bail for the accused.

However, Chief Magistrate Mrs. Sandra Onyibe refused the bail application, citing lack of jurisdiction to grant bail in this matter.

The case has been adjourned to October 2 for a report of compliance with procedural requirements.

 

Google search engine

MOST COMMENTED

- Advertisement -
Google search engine