Governor Peter Ndubuisi Mbah of Enugu State on Friday carried out an unscheduled inspection of the ongoing 44.1-kilometre dualisation of the Enugu–Ugwogo Nike–Opi–Nsukka road, describing the project as a strategic economic corridor for the state.
During the tour, the governor also visited identified security flashpoints along the route, announcing immediate measures to address recurring breaches through infrastructure upgrades and the establishment of a forward operating base.
Speaking with journalists after the inspection, Mbah expressed satisfaction with the pace and quality of work, reiterating his administration’s resolve to ensure timely completion.
“We are pleased with the progress so far. Beyond speed, we are paying close attention to quality because this will become a major highway for Enugu State. We have set a strict timeline and reviewed the work programme with the contractor. The understanding is that this project will be delivered by October 2026,” he said.
He explained that the purpose of the inspection was to verify that execution aligns with agreed standards and deadlines.
“We do not want to sit in our offices and be taken by surprise. Our duty is to ensure the project meets both timeline and quality benchmarks. From what we have seen, we are confident the contractor will deliver,” the governor added.
On security concerns, Mbah noted that parts of the road had previously recorded security challenges. He said his visit to the affected spots enabled the government to design targeted interventions.
“This corridor has been one of the flashpoints in the state. We have now assessed the exact locations where breaches occur and agreed on immediate fixes with the contractor. In addition, we will establish a forward operating base to strengthen security presence along the axis,” he stated.
He emphasised that safeguarding lives and property remains the primary responsibility of government.
“The security and safety of our people is non-negotiable. That is why we are taking proactive steps to eliminate threats along this route,” he said.
Also addressing reporters, the Chief Executive Officer of COMAG Construction Company Limited, Cosmas Agu, commended the state government for consistent funding of the project, assuring that the firm remains on course to meet the October deadline.
According to him, the construction has been segmented to accelerate delivery, with multiple teams working simultaneously across different sections.
“As you have seen during the inspection, there is no cause for concern. Funding is stable, equipment is on ground and our engineers are fully mobilised. We divided the project into segments to fast-track progress,” Agu said.
He listed the segments to include NOWAS to T-Junction, Zero Kilometre to T-Junction, T-Junction to Elim Estate, Elim to Ugwogo, as well as the Opi axis, adding that work is ongoing concurrently on three bridges within the corridor.
“October remains our target and we are working diligently to ensure we deliver as promised,” he affirmed.











