Home Blog Page 314

FRSC Alerts Public To Diesel Tanker Accident, Diverts Traffic On Enugu-Onitsha Expressway

 

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has issued a public alert following an accident involving a diesel-laden tanker along the Ugwu-Onyema axis of the Enugu-Onitsha Expressway, which resulted in a fuel spill and subsequent fire outbreak.

The Enugu State Sector Commander of the FRSC, Mr. Franklin Agbakoba, made the disclosure on Thursday in Enugu while addressing journalists.

According to Agbakoba, the incident occurred at approximately 6:16 pm on Thursday, prompting immediate response and diversion of traffic in the area.

He explained that FRSC personnel swiftly moved to the scene and redirected vehicles away from the danger zone.

“Motorists and pedestrians are advised and directed to follow the Inside Ngwo Community Road, popularly known as ‘Ngwo Snake Road’, while going into and outside Enugu metropolis for now,” he stated.

Agbakoba confirmed that the crash involved only the tanker and that no other vehicle was affected.

“There is no life lost in the incident for now,” he said.

He also noted that firefighting teams are currently at the site, working to contain the blaze.

“The Federal and State Fire Services are currently on ground battling the fire and ensuring it doesn’t escalate,” Agbakoba added.

Providing further details, the sector commander said:

“At about 18:16 pm, today, Sept. 25, 2025, the FRSC Enugu State Sector Command received a crash alert along Enugu-Onitsha Expressway by Ugwu-Onyeama.
Rescue teams from the State Sector and the FRSC 9th Mile Unit Commands have been activated to the crash scene.
More details of the report will be forwarded soon.”

Motorists are advised to exercise caution while using alternative routes, and the FRSC has assured the public of continuous updates as the situation develops.

Google search engine

Five Rescued After Building Collapse In Lagos

 

A two-storey building under construction collapsed early Thursday morning in the Alimosho area of Lagos State, trapping several workers beneath the debris.

The incident occurred at Modupeola Street, near Mangoro Bus Stop, at around 4am, prompting a swift response from emergency services and concerned residents, who worked together to search for survivors.

After hours of rescue efforts, five adult male construction workers were pulled from the rubble alive and rushed to a nearby private hospital for emergency treatment.

One of the victims, aged 44, sustained multiple fractures and was later transferred to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) for specialized care.

According to Margaret Adeseye, Controller General of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the building was originally a bungalow but was being converted into a two-storey structure, all while tenants reportedly continued to occupy the ground floor.

She noted that the collapse affected the rear section of the building and confirmed that no fatalities had been recorded.

“The incident involved a partial collapse at the back of the building. Five adult male construction workers were rescued with varying degrees of injuries and taken to hospital,” Adeseye said.

Her team reportedly received a distress call at 5:39 am and arrived on the scene by 6:24 am, with firefighters from both Ikeja and Agege stations leading the rescue operation.

The Lagos State Government has since launched an investigation into the cause of the collapse.

Officials assured that appropriate action will be taken to prevent similar incidents, especially in buildings undergoing unapproved structural modifications.

Google search engine

Our Men Need Arms To Tackle Road Violations – FRSC Boss

 

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Shehu Mohammed, has called for the arming of FRSC operatives, saying it may be necessary to effectively enforce traffic laws on Nigerian highways.

Speaking during an interview on ARISE News on Thursday, Mohammed highlighted the growing challenges faced by personnel, especially when dealing with large commercial vehicles like trailers and tankers.

He described a common but dangerous scenario: “How do you stop a trailer or a tanker on the road? It’s very difficult. A truck carrying up to 100 passengers, along with animals and you only have four patrol officers, how do you stop that?”

The FRSC chief argued that enforcement is weakened without sufficient authority. “If you don’t have the power to enforce anything, there is no way you can achieve that enforcement,” he emphasized, suggesting that the ability to carry arms would provide the needed “power of cohesion.”

Addressing long-standing allegations of bribery and corruption within the agency, Mohammed acknowledged the problem but stressed that the FRSC has taken a tougher stance than many other government bodies.

“We have more records of termination and dismissal of our personnel because of bribes and corruption,” he said.

He added that the Corps follows strict procedures to deal with misconduct.

Reacting to complaints about driver’s licence charges, the Corps Marshal clarified that the official fees have remained unchanged.

“₦15,000 for a three-year licence and ₦21,000 for a five-year licence.”

He acknowledged, however, that many Nigerians face difficulties in the application and renewal process.

“We apologise for the inconvenience. In the first and second week of October, Nigerians will begin to see an improved driver’s licence system and better service delivery,” he promised.

Google search engine

Man Arrested For Stabbing Parents To Death Over Food Dispute

 

A disturbing incident has rocked the Kofar Dawanau area of Kano metropolis, where a 30-year-old man, Mutawakilu Ibrahim, was arrested for allegedly murdering his grandparents following a disagreement over food.

In a statement released by the Kano State Police Command spokesperson, SP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, the tragic event occurred on Thursday, September 25, 2025.

Preliminary investigations revealed that Mutawakilu got into a heated argument with his 75-year-old grandfather, Muhammad Dansokoto, and 65-year-old grandmother, Hadiza Tasidi.

The confrontation reportedly escalated, leading the suspect to attack both elders with a knife, inflicting fatal wounds.

The victims were quickly transported to the Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital, where medical personnel confirmed their deaths.

Their bodies have since been released to the family for burial in line with Islamic customs.

SP Kiyawa also noted that the suspect is believed to have been under the influence of intoxicating substances at the time of the attack.

Following the gravity of the incident, Commissioner of Police, CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori, has directed that the case be handed over to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Homicide Section, for a thorough probe.

“The suspect will face prosecution once the investigation is concluded,” the statement confirmed.

Google search engine

Man Arrested For Stabbing Parents To Death Over Food Dispute

 

A disturbing incident has rocked the Kofar Dawanau area of Kano metropolis, where a 30-year-old man, Mutawakilu Ibrahim, was arrested for allegedly murdering his grandparents following a disagreement over food.

In a statement released by the Kano State Police Command spokesperson, SP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, the tragic event occurred on Thursday, September 25, 2025.

Preliminary investigations revealed that Mutawakilu got into a heated argument with his 75-year-old grandfather, Muhammad Dansokoto, and 65-year-old grandmother, Hadiza Tasidi.

The confrontation reportedly escalated, leading the suspect to attack both elders with a knife, inflicting fatal wounds.

The victims were quickly transported to the Murtala Muhammad Specialist Hospital, where medical personnel confirmed their deaths.

Their bodies have since been released to the family for burial in line with Islamic customs.

SP Kiyawa also noted that the suspect is believed to have been under the influence of intoxicating substances at the time of the attack.

Following the gravity of the incident, Commissioner of Police, CP Ibrahim Adamu Bakori, has directed that the case be handed over to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Homicide Section, for a thorough probe.

“The suspect will face prosecution once the investigation is concluded,” the statement confirmed.

Google search engine

2027: Atiku, El-Rufai, Pantami, Saraki Ally Attend High-Level ADC Meeting In Abuja

 

Prominent opposition figures gathered in Abuja on Thursday for a high-stakes meeting convened by the African Democratic Congress (ADC), signaling a strategic move ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The ADC, known for its critical stance against the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), appears to be mobilizing heavyweight political figures in a bid to mount a serious challenge in the next electoral cycle.

Among those present at the meeting were: Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, Former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, Former Senate President, David Mark, Senator Aminu Waziri Tambuwal and Former Kwara State Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed, a key ally of ex-Senate President Bukola Saraki.

Detail shortly…

Google search engine

Two Arraigned For Murder After UNN Bonfire Night Turns Deadly

 

What began as a night of celebration at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), ended in bloodshed and sorrow, as two young men now stand accused of conspiring to take the life of another in a senseless act of violence.

The Enugu State Police Command has confirmed that Ezema Onyedikachi (27) and Ugwu Chigozie Anthony (21) were arraigned earlier this week and have been remanded in correctional custody following their alleged involvement in the murder of 29-year-old Nweze Chiebonam, during the early hours of September 13th.

The incident occurred after a bonfire night organized by the Department of Archaeology and Heritage Studies in the Faculty of Arts, UNN.

The event, held on Thursday, September 12th, was well-attended by students and guests, including the suspects and the deceased.

According to police reports, the tragedy unfolded around 3am shortly after the event concluded.

As attendees began dispersing, a minor car accident involving Ugwu Anthony’s vehicle and that of the deceased sparked a confrontation.

Witnesses say the altercation was heated but appeared to have been resolved at the scene, or so it seemed.

What followed has left a community in shock.

In a statement released by the Enugu State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Daniel Ndukwe, investigations revealed that the suspects left the scene after the initial altercation, only to return later with a weapon, a dagger allegedly used in the fatal attack.

The police say that upon their return, Ezema Onyedikachi took the dagger from Ugwu Anthony during the confrontation and stabbed Nweze Chiebonam fatally in the chest.

Despite being rushed to a nearby hospital, Chiebonam was declared dead by the attending doctor. The dagger used in the crime has since been recovered as evidence.

The suspects have been arraigned on a two-count charge of conspiracy and murder, and a judge has ordered that they be remanded in correctional custody pending further proceedings.

The arraignment marks the beginning of what is expected to be a closely watched legal case, not only for the university community but for the broader Enugu State, where youth violence remains a pressing concern.

The Commissioner of Police, Enugu State Command, Mamman Bitrus Giwa, condemned the killing in strong terms, describing the incident as both “unfortunate and avoidable.”

In his statement, CP Giwa expressed deep condolences to the family of the deceased and used the moment to urge the public, especially the youth, to eschew violence and embrace peaceful conflict resolution.

“One life lost to violence is one too many,” said CP Giwa.

“We must learn to walk away, to de-escalate and to resolve disagreements with dialogue, not daggers.”

Google search engine

2027: I’ll Protect Yoruba Community If Elected President, Says Atiku

 

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has pledged to prioritize the protection of the Yoruba community, dismissing concerns that his election could lead to the domination of other ethnic groups by the Hausa/Fulani.

In a statement released on Thursday in Abuja through his media consultant, Kola Johnson, Atiku highlighted his longstanding personal and family ties to the Southwest region, emphasizing that the Yoruba people are essentially his extended family and in-laws.

As he seeks support from the Yoruba and other ethnic groups for the 2027 presidential election, Atiku assured them of his unwavering commitment if elected. He said,

“I count myself extremely lucky indeed to have had a wife from amongst this noble species of the human race, which by this token implies that the bond uniting me together with the Yoruba is aptly like the genetic bond of a family.

“This is why the Yoruba, whether individually or collectively, have always occupied a special place in my heart.

“It is also for this reason that the interest of the Yorubas will always occupy a topmost place in my policymaking and governance if, by the special Grace of Allah, I am lucky to be president in 2027.”

Addressing fears of ethnic domination, Atiku further stated,
“Therefore, the fear that my ascension to presidency might lead to Hausa/Fulani domination over Yorubas or other ethnic groups does not only arise, but also is absolutely unfounded because the entire Yoruba stock is my larger extended family and in-laws.”

He recounted his family ties, saying,
“In case you don’t know or have forgotten, I was married to my first wife, Titi, a Yoruba woman, in the 70s, and we have four Yoruba children together. She is now over 75 years old, and we are still together.

“My children with Titi sometimes call me ‘Baba Rere’, meaning good father. I am extremely in love with my children and serve as a good father to them, as I urge every father to do the same to their children.”

On his inclusive nature, Atiku added,
“Anyone who knows me will tell you with all sincerity that, as a person, I am naturally a highly detribalised person. Even before I could ever venture into politics, I flowed easily and effortlessly with people of diverse tribes, ethnicity, religion and whatever sectarian differences.”

Google search engine

Enugu Senator Finally Leaves Labour Party, Joins APC After Months Of Denial

 

After months of denying rumors, Senator Kelvin Chukwu of Enugu East senatorial zone has officially left the Labour Party (LP).

Chukwu, who comes from Amuri Community in Nkanu West Local Government Area of Enugu State, made the announcement during a town hall meeting held at the village market square.

There, he updated his constituents on some of his accomplishments in the National Assembly.

The senator explained that his decision to leave the Labour Party was driven by the ongoing internal crisis and division within the party, which has persisted for an extended period.

DAILY GAZETTE recall that just a few months ago, Chukwu had publicly dismissed claims that he was planning to quit the LP.

Source: Leadership

Google search engine

UNGA @80: Shettima To Present Nigeria’s National Statement Today

 

Vice President Kashim Shettima, acting on behalf of President Bola Tinubu, is slated to deliver Nigeria’s national address at the 80th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) today in New York.

The speech, expected between 3:00 p.m. and 9:00 pm (New York time), will cover themes such as multilateralism, UN reform, climate action and global financial restructuring.

This follows last year’s call by President Tinubu for Africa to gain permanent seats on the UN Security Council.

Earlier, Shettima participated in the Assembly’s opening session, during which U.S. President Donald Trump officially welcomed delegates.

On the sidelines, he held a bilateral meeting with Namibian President Nandi-Ndaitwah, who commended Nigeria’s diplomatic support and pledged a visit to Abuja.

She reciprocated by affirming her country’s desire to deepen ties with Nigeria.

He also met with representatives of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, where he expressed gratitude for their contributions and sought expanded cooperation in the fields of agriculture, health and financial inclusion.

In turn, the Foundation pledged to intensify investment in Nigeria’s human capital, education, and health sectors.

Shettima used his engagements to reiterate Nigeria’s ambition of achieving at least 7% annual growth, calling it contingent on macroeconomic stability and strategic investment in infrastructure, healthcare, agriculture and education.

During the same meetings, Education Minister Dr. Tunji Alausa appealed for stronger Gates Foundation backing in technology, AI and foundational learning, underscoring the need for faster progress in Nigeria’s educational sector.

In response, Gates Foundation CEO Mark Suzman affirmed his organization’s dedication to supporting Nigeria’s human development agenda, applauding Tinubu and Shettima’s commitment as foundational to their collaboration.

Other notable officials in attendance included Foreign Affairs Minister Yusuf Tuggar, Women Affairs Minister Iman Sulaiman-Ibrahim, and other senior appointees.

Google search engine

MOST COMMENTED

- Advertisement -
Google search engine